Friday, March 20, 2009

Not so sure about this Meathead thing ...

I do think it's a terrific program, I'm just not sure it's a good fit for me. Partly it's that I just don't like working out at the gym that much, and partly it's that after all the timed sets and other fun things I've been doing it's hard to go back to more traditional set and rep schemes. At the same time, the deadlift workout I did last Monday brought home to me that I really shouldn't be neglecting my heavy lifting. My low back felt tender for two days afterward, which ALWAYS happens to me when I go for too long without doing heavy deads as part of my program.

So, I'm thinking I maybe want to switch over to something more CrossFit-ish, except with a bit of GVT or wave theory at the beginning of the workout for maximal strength. I'm realizing I don't really care about getting bigger or capping my delts or what have you--I just want to feel strong and athletic, and I'd like to weigh as little as possible because it'll make pullups easier and pointe work less painful.